Below are some great winter driving tips from the Missouri Department of Transportation (MODOT). Consider these suggestions if you are ever stranded during inclement weather. Find more tips on our website, or visit MODOT’s website.
- Call for help if you can. Note the nearest mile marker or cross-street so your car service or emergency responders can find you.
- Stay in the vehicle. Don’t leave to search for help. It’s easy to become disoriented and lost in blowing and drifting snow.
- Display a trouble sign. Hang a brightly colored cloth on the antenna.
- Run the engine for about 10 minutes each hour. Run the heater and turn on the dome light only when the vehicle is running.
- Keep the exhaust pipe clear of snow, and open a window slightly for ventilation.
- Clap hands and move your arms and legs occasionally. Don’t stay in one position for too long.
- If more than one person is in the car, take turns sleeping.
- Huddle together for warmth.
- Use newspapers, maps, and even car mats for added insulation.
Call MoDOT’s toll-free customer service center for current road condition information at 888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636). The Customer Service Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.