Below are some great winter driving tips from the Missouri Department of Transportation (MODOT). Consider these suggestions while driving during inclement weather. Find more tips on our website, or visit MODOT’s website.
Call MoDOT’s toll-free customer service center for current road condition information at 888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636). The Customer Service Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If possible, postpone your travel until roads have been plowed, treated, and cleared. You don’t want to slide off the road, and we (MODOT) don’t want to plow around disabled vehicles.
- Slow down and adjust your speed to the conditions.
- Give snowplows plenty of room, and don’t pass them.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Remember that driving is most dangerous when temperatures are near 32 degrees.
- Watch for other vehicles having problems with road conditions.
- Keep mirrors, windows and lights clean; keep your lights on.
- Don’t pass other vehicles on or near bridges.
- Keep your fuel tank at least half full.
- If you don’t feel comfortable driving, pull off of the highway and park at the first safe place.