Below are some great winter driving tips from the Missouri Department of Transportation (MODOT). Consider these suggestions before taking a trip during inclement weather. Find more tips on our website, or visit MODOT’s website.
Call MoDOT’s toll-free customer service center for current road condition information at 888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636). The Customer Service Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Winterize your car with fresh antifreeze, a good battery, a properly operating exhaust system, and oil that will withstand the rigors of cold weather.
Do a thorough pre-trip inspection of your vehicle, paying special attention to your tires, brakes, windshield wipers, and windshield wiper fluid.
Equip Your Vehicle With:
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- Cell phone and charger
- A first-aid kit
- Necessary medications
- Blankets and/or sleeping bags
- Extra mittens or gloves, socks, a warm cap and rain gear
- A small sack of sand to use for traction under your wheels
- A small shovel
- Booster cables
- Small tools – pliers, wrench, screwdriver
- A brightly colored cloth to use as a flag
- Nonperishable foods
- Bottled water